Mis Aventuras en España

Friday, December 08, 2006

Thanksgiving Dinner and my Birthday

Wow, what an adventure...that is all I have to say. I spent all week searching for just the right pan for the 10 lb. turkey I ordered from the market. Luckily I found one big enough for the Turkey but not too big for the oven at the dollar store. I thought I ordered cranberries from the market but in the end ordered blueberries. Many things went wrong, well, at least not as they were supposed to, but in the end it was wonderful.
I could not have done it without the help of my mother who sent me over 20 emails with recipes and suggesstions...although i might have made a little less food without her. I thought I was making one pumpkin pie and one apple pie, but when it came right down to it, I made to of both...well, it all got eaten eventually. After talking with several people and taking the turkey out of the oven, I realized I cooked it upside down, but as I was serving people who had never had thanksgiving before, they had no idea so it didn't matter. Well, all this in comparison to what happened the night of my dinner was nothing.
I spent all day cooking and everything was going really very well. The Turkey was in the oven and cooking along quite nicely and on time...I was planning to take it out an hour before our company arrived. Well...either way, it was done an hour before company came whether I wanted it to be or not...why? Because the power went out..all of it.......no lights, microwave, frigde, or oven! haha ofcourse I was downstairs in the kitchen and the kids and glória were upstairs...Biel and Teresa immediately started flipping out and Glória told me to come upstairs and take Jan and she would go fix it. Well, to make a long story short, Glória couldn't fix it and we still had no power by the time the guests arrived. We did find some flashlights and were planning to buy some candles...I made the gravy by flashlight and then the electrician came! he restored the power but not the oven or the microwave...so I couldn't reheat any of the food, but it was still all wonderful if I do say so myself.
After dinner Glória and the kids put candles in one of the pumpkin pies and everyone sang happy birthday and all my friends brought me presents, i couldn't believe it! they are all so sweet!! It was really very wonderful.
Here are some pictures: http://drexel.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2039387&l=52b3e&id=10500847

Later that weekend Anikó and I decided to go to Montblanc...a small pueblo about 45 minutes away by train. We had a wonderful time walking around and taking pictures...which you can see at: http://drexel.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2039384&l=cbb79&id=10500847

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home